1. Who is in charge of merger control in Albania?
The authority in charge of merger control in Albania is the Competition Authority of Albania, based in Tirana.
2. What are the merger filing thresholds in Albania?
The Albanian merger control regime is set into motion if either of the following two alternative thresholds is exceeded:
- The combined global turnover of the parties exceeds ALL 7 billion (approx. EUR 60 million) and the Albanian turnover of at least one party exceeds ALL 200 million (approximately EUR 1.7 million); OR
- The combined Albanian turnover of the parties exceeds ALL 400 million (approx. EUR 3.4 million) and the Albanian turnover of at least one party exceeds ALL 200 million (approx. EUR 1.7 million).
3. Is merger filing in Albania mandatory?
Yes – whenever the merger filing thresholds are exceeded, the parties must refrain from implementing the transaction until the Albanian competition authority clears it (the standstill obligation).
4. Can the merger filing threshold be exceeded even if the target did not have any sales in Albania?
5. What are the deadlines for notification in the Albanian merger control regime?
The parties must notify the planned transaction to the Albanian competition authority within 30 days of the conclusion of the transaction agreement.
6. What is a typical amount of the merger filing fee for a Phase I clearance in Albania?
In the region of EUR 4,500.
7. Is there a short-form merger notification in Albania?
8. How long does a Phase I procedure last in Albania?
Twenty-five working days from the submission of a complete merger filing, provided that the transaction qualifies for a simplified review process (otherwise, two months from the submission of a complete filing).
9. How long does a Phase II procedure last in Albania?
Generally, up to three months from the initiation of the Phase II probe.
10. What are the fines for gun jumping in Albania?
Up to 10% of the infringer’s turnover for the relevant year.
Merger filing app
Interested in merger control in the Western Balkans? You may also like our web app for checking whether your transaction is notifiable throughout the region. To access the app, please click on or scan the QR code below.
For more information about merger control in Albania, please contact Dr. Dragan Gajin, Head of Competition at Doklestic Repic & Gajin.